Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Now there's only one of everything.

So quickly I felt like the worst mother ever...when I found out that Ian was seeing double and had been for years.  

I noticed Ian's left eye would drift to the outer part of his eye.  It was very subtle, but I was still noticing it; mostly when we I'd be sitting across the table from him at dinner each night.  I mentioned it to the pediatrician when we went for Ian's annual physical.  It was recommended to get him to the ophthalmologist as soon as possible.   Ian has been diagnosed with Intermittent Exotropia.  The eye doctor asked him if he sees double.  Ian said "yes".  OMG!  I had no that Ian was seeing double.  I feel horrible for not having known this.  Apparently Ian has had this problem for years, but always thought it was normal to see double.  WHAT?!?!?!   Ian's left eye has been doing a good job covering up the exotropia, but as his vision is getting worse, the eye can no longer compensate.  Therefore, as he gets tired and towards the end of the day, the eye will drift from time to time.  The eye dr explained this condition is fairly common and he sees it all the time.

The solution?  For Ian to get glasses.  By his eye not having to strain, it will help with the drifting and get things straightened out.  Plus, it will help get his vision back to 20/20.

That evening after dinner, we went as a family and helped Ian pick out glasses.  It was actually a pretty smooth experience from start to finish.  Ian looks adorable in his glasses. 


We did a side-by-side comparison of the other pair we really liked.

The sweetest thing ever was watching Ian put his glasses on for the first time after they had been made specifically for his prescription. A smile came across his face and he said, "Everything is less blurry.  I can't believe how everything is less blurry."   It was quite endearing and I felt like Jeff and I just handed him the world. 

Huge smiles putting on the pair with the prescription in them.

It has taken very little time to get used to seeing Ian wearing glasses.  He looks so darn cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment